The time has come...less than one week until One Day Without Shoes! We are giddy with excitement here at HQ, and have loved hearing all the amazing things that you guys are doing on your campuses to raise awareness.
But I know there are some TOMS fans out there who are just now hearing about One Day Without Shoes...wondering if it is too late to plan an event? The answer to that question my friends is a resounding NO WAY! You can host an awesome event on campus no matter how much time you have...it's easy! Below are the Top 5 events you can plan in less than a week:
1. PICNIC (WITHOUT SHOES): Get students to get their lunch "to-go" from the Cafeteria and sit in a big group outside. Ask the staff if you can advertise in your Caf promoting abarefoot picnic. Have a few students inside rallying others to join the group outside! You can even share the TOMS story with your Cafeteria staff and (if they are willing) to have a special BBQ outside for all students going without shoes!
2. DANCE OFF (WITHOUT SHOES): In the spirit of competition...hold a little Dance Off in a large gathering area of your campus. Get a few barefoot participants together beforehand and have someone bring speakers and music (most Student Activities Organizations have a PA system they could even let you borrow!). Blast music and watch as people gather to watch the dance battle. It will be a fun break from class, and people will get a chance to show off their moves!
3. SHOE VALET AND INFO TABLE: Look at our simple instructions on creating an info table*, and go the extra mile by creating a Shoe Valet section as well. As students come to the table, share the story with them, and have them leave their shoes with you for the rest of the day. Brainstorm a system that allows you to securely hold onto shoes until students return for them (masking tape or post-it notes work great for labeling, and big plastic tubs or bins work for storing them). Check out what the students did for there Shoe Valet table...*If you don't have all the supplies listed for the info table (check with your club leader!) then feel free to improvise. Create a TOMS flag using paint and a white sheet. Print materials for signs and info cards from the One Day Without Shoes toolkit. Get creative!
4. ATTEND A GAME (WITHOUT SHOES): What sports are in season? Baseball? Basketball? Soccer? Grab a group of friends and sports fans and attend a game without shoes. Create signs that say: "(Your Team's name) fans are cheering without shoes so kids don't have to!" to hold up at the game while you cheer for your team! Encourage other fans to take off their shoes as you share the story with them.
5. BAREFOOT PHOTOBOOTH: Create signs that people can hold that say things like, "I'm going without shoes so kids don't have to" or "I am ___________ without shoes so kids don't have to." If you choose to do the fill in the blank, you could have some cutout letters, or even blank strips of paper students can fill in and place in the blank space. Then, have someone snap their picture, and give them a printout of where their cool barefoot picture will be located for them to use.* (www.tomscampusprograms.com/"youralbumtitle") Look at what Marietta College did:
*You should create an album on the TCP Called "Your School" One Day Without Shoes Barefoot Photobooth so students can easily locate where their photos are!
Are you inspired? Feel free to be as creative as you want with these events, they are just a starting point! Create an event on the TCP, post the event to your Facebook and share on Twitter...go crazy! We know TOMS students are incredibly passionate and can come up with fun and easy events to raise awareness! Share with us what YOU plan on doing by emailing us at campusprograms@TOMS.com today.
Ready, set, GO!